Friday, January 20, 2012

Entering Piper Hall!


Ever since my freshman year at LUC, I've wanted to explore Piper Hall which is a beautiful building on campus located right on the shores of Lake Michigan.


Piper Hall was purchased from Albert Mussey Johnson in 1934 and originally used as a library by Mundelein College. Today, Piper Hall is the houses the Gannon Center for Women and Leadership, the Women and Leadership Archives, and the Women and Gender Studies Department.

As a new intern at the Women and Leadership Archives, I finally have a reason to go in and look around! The interior was beautifully restored in 2005 and features a grand staircase and the Tiffany Stain Glass above. I got the full tour and felt so exclusive when I went into the archives in the basement! The collection are kept in a environmentally monitored room and are stored in these awesome compact shelves that have a helm-like contraption to open and close them.

 My project at the WLA will involve processing and digitizing a collection and then hopefully creating an online exhibit. There's still a lot that I need to learn, but I'm excited to get started!



No comments:

Post a Comment