Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Videos

      Today I moved on to the A/V portion of the Gannon Center collection. Part of processing requires that the archivist look through all A/V material to make sure that it is labeled correctly and is in good quality.
     I watched quite a few video cassettes about G.C. events and lectures which was interesting and I got to see just how much the Gannon Center has done over the years. Among these videos, there were a few recordings of speakers from the Center's Women's Conference including Sandra Cisneros!
     I've been a fan of her writing for a while so I was excited to see her speak at an event at Loyola. She read a piece she wrote for a magazine about the impact of color in our lives. It was similar to this piece.
     Besides seeing Ms. Cisneros, I also came across an interesting film entitle "Brides of Christ" which is a fictional portrayal of nuns in the 1960s in the US. Although I didn't have time to watch the whole thing, I will definitely be checking it out later.
     Finally, I ended the day by watching a student made film from Mundelein College Class of '55. They made a silent film document interesting events during their four years at Mundelein by reenacting each event. It was really interesting to see what is now Loyola's campus from 60 years ago. It was also really interesting to see the environment of an all-women's college on video. Although I've gotten a sense of the feeling of community at Mundelein from other documents that I've processed, it was even clearer in video. There was such a sense of friendship and camaraderie among the women.
    On Friday, I'll be finishing with the last box of videos and then beginning the process of organizing all of the processed material into some sort of sensible order. I can't believe I'm almost done going through all of the material! It's certainly gone by much quicker than I thought, but I am eager to see the completed  collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment