Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Slow week at the archives

This week the computers at the archives were all being updated so there wasn't a lot of work that I could do.
Instead of working on my collection, I helped a graduate assistant with her work.
The collection she is working on about Deborah's Place had a lot of news print. In archiving, original news print is often recycled or disposed of because of the low quality and vulnerability of the paper. The originals are photo copied on to acid free paper and as usual any metal paper clips or staples are removed. This ensure that the news article will be preserved for a longer period of time.

I came across some interesting articles about Deborah's Place including the process of opening it and some of the controversy behind it. Some residents of the neighborhood weren't completely on board with the opening of a home for battered and homeless women so close to them, but luckily the center was opened despite any issues in 1985.

For the rest of this week, I will be finishing my collection and possibly starting a new project. More to come later!

No comments:

Post a Comment